I was recently talking with a friend that is starting a blog, and I realised how overwhelming it can be. I really want to help out some of you that are maybe thinking about starting your own blog because…. Guess what, it’s not too late to start a blog in 2020. If you want to help people and you have a topic you are passionate about, you can do it!
- Name– Your name should be something that links back to you, to what you will be writing about. My blog name used to be theStyleventure because I wrote about fashion. However, I realised in blogging you really have to niche down. What I mean is… instead of saying ” I’ll blog about fashion”, say ” I’ll blog about Minimalistic Luxury Fashion”. That way you are differentiating yourself from all the other fashion bloggers and your audience clearly knows what they will get by subscribing to your website. Since then I started blogging exclusively about fragrances and ever since then I started to see my blog grow. I decided to share my fails and lessons with other bloggers so they can effectively start their blogs without making the same mistakes I did. It should preferably be short and snappy so people can remember it. I would also recommend coming up with a few names and asking your friends of family which one sounds the best to them. It is also good to have a few names at hand because sometimes your domain could be reserved by someone else. To check whether your domain name and social media are available check out this name checker site.
- Domain– After you picked out your favourite name, pick whether you want your page to end in .com .co.uk, or anything else. Next, you need to check whether that domain is actually available for you to buy. Yes, You actually need to buy it but don’t worry… it’s usually around 2 dollars for your first year 🙂 You can use any website like this one. If your domain is available, you are lucky! If not, try modifying your name, add THE or add a word to the name. Good luck!
- Host– I know hosting can seem really confusing at the beginning. When I first started blogging I was using Squarespace but if I was to start again I would start with wordpress.org and a web host such as Siteground! All big bloggers blog on Self Hosted WordPress site and it is the best. Why? Because then you have the option to design your blog exactly how you want it, you can modify and customize everything and it means that you never have to migrate to another service as your blog grows bigger. For me, the main factors for picking a site host were 24/7 customer service. Since I started with Siteground I have never thought of leaving. They have amazing support chat where their customer care team is always patient and helpful, even with me, a person who doesn’t have a clue about code etc. They also have affordable starter pack for anyone that is just starting off. You can always upgrade with them when you have more audience and need more features.
- Blog Template– We often underestimate the importance of a template. You want it to be simple, clean, and understandable. I know it may be cruel, but within the first few seconds of walking into a restaurant, you know whether you want to stay or not. You make your decision based on your first impressions and it’s the same with your blog design! I love Etsy for blog templates and logos! This one would be perfect for a lifestyle blogger!
- Camera– Photos are crucial for any blogger. My tip is to buy the best camera you can afford when you are starting out. It would be perfect if everyone could start with a DSLR and a 50mm lens, but I know it is not realistic for everyone. For me, I only had an iPhone camera at first. So, don’t worry. As long as you want to always improve your photos, it is ok. Just start. Here is what I use for my content and it has served me well for years.
You’ll also need some awesome content planners to start you off on a good foot
That’s it. If you do all of this, you are pretty much ready to start blogging. Have fun!